Pichi Pichi is always present during family gatherings. In my family anyway. This Filipino dessert is made of cassava and topped with grated coconut. My son loves the version that has cheese toppings.
We usually buy at Amber's Restaurant but here's a recipe from my Mom's recipe box.
Pichi Pichi Recipe
2 cups grated cassava1 cup sugar
2 cups water
1 bundle of pandan leaves or 1/2 tsp buko-pandan essence
1/2 tsp lye water
grated coconut or cheese for topping
1. If using fresh pandan leaves, boil in 2 cups water until reduced to one cup. Set to cool.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar and the pandan flavored water until sugar is dissolved.
3. Add the cassava and then add lye water while continuously stirring the mixture.
4. Pour in individual cup molds and place in a steamer for 45 minutes to an hour or until mixture becomes transluscent.
5. Allow to cool down then roll into grated coconut or cheese.