Philippine High School for the Arts (PSHA) is a government-run high school where artistically gifted and talented students are trained. The school is located at the National Arts Center atop Mt. Makiling in Los Baños, Laguna, Philippines.
Entrance to the school is very competitive. It accepts around forty to fifty students per year to ensure a high quality of academic and arts training programs. Students accepted into the PHSA are given full scholarship and living assistance.
PSHA consults with the Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP) for policy and program implementation of its arts programs. Aside from specializing in specific arts field, students are required to undergo general education curriculum prescribed by the Department of Education (DepEd).
The five courses of specialization in the arts that the school offer are:
- Creative Writing (Fiction, Poetry, Playwriting, and Journalism in English and Filipino)
- Dance (Classical Ballet, Modern Dance, Philippine Folk Dance, Dance Composition and Staging)
- Music (Solo Voice/Solo Instrument, Theory, Composition, and Ensemble Classes (Chorus and Chamber)
- Theater Arts (Acting, Production Management, Technical Theater, History of the Theater, Theater Theory and Directing)
- Visual Arts (Visual Perception, Sculpture, Art Appreciation, Studio Painting, Materials and Techniques, Figuration, Pottery, and Printmaking)
Elective courses which complement the major courses of study in the arts are also offered to the students on a semestral basis.
- Must be a Filipino citizen with no pending application as immigrant to a foreign country;
- Have an outstanding ability in an art discipline and above-average general intelligence;
- Graduating Grade VI or VII pupils at the time of application (Important: current HS-I students may apply subject to evaluation by the ANSYAS Committee);
- Be able to take up the scholarship in the School Year for which it is granted;
- NOT older than 15 years upon enrolment in PHSA;
- Proficient in oral and written Filipino and English;
- Willing to study in a boarding school;
- Identify a Legal Guardian residing in Metro Manila, Cavite, Laguna, or Batangas; (students are required to go on homeleave to their parents or designated legal guardian during weekends.)
- Have NO debilitating illnesses or systemic and/or communicable diseases such as serum sickness, congenital heart disease, systemic lupus erythematosus, hepatitis A and/or B, untreated primary complex, chronic otitis media, malaria, bronchial asthma, and/or seizures/involuntary tremors;
- Determined to pursue a college degree in Dance, Creative Writing, Architecture, Fine Arts, Music, Theater Arts, Journalism, or any related course upon graduation from the PHSA.
The 2013 Nationwide Search for Young Art Scholars form is now available for download at the PSHA website. Goodluck!
(049) 536-5971 to 73 / (049) 536-2862
Philippine High School for the Arts National Arts Center, Mt. Makiling, College, 4031 Los Baños, Laguna
directorIV@phsa.edu.ph or directorIII@phsa.edu.ph