Hard Work Pays Off

18 September 2012

My son told me Wednesday last week that he's going to perform with 5 of his classmates for Monday's (that was yesterday) Service Interaction day. He's going to play the guitar and his classmates will sing. They will perform Bruno Mars's Count on Me.

He learned to play two songs last summer break by just watching tutorial videos on YouTube. So he just searched YouTube for an easy enough tutorial for him to follow, by himself without my help. He learned "Count on Me" in just a few minutes, here's the tutorial video in case you're interested to learn it. 

 
So everyday, as soon as we arrive home from his Chinese tutor, he practice for an hour or so without me reminding him.

Yesterday, armed with his one-month-old RJ Guitar, yep guitar brand is same name as him, he went to school nervous but confident.

I called his class adviser and asked if it’s possible for someone can take a video of the group’s performance since it’s RJ’s first ever performance in front of a crowd. And he worked hard, studying the song by himself, to make his performance perfect. She said she’ll ask someone.

When I picked RJ up in school, he said their performance was great. Except for the last part, one of the singers stopped so he stopped playing the guitar. The audience clapped thinking that their performance was done already. So except for that part, their performance was very good.

Today, he told me that he’s again asked to perform for next Friday’s Appreciation Day. I am so proud of him.

27 comments:

Mye said...

You Tube seems to be of big help nowadays. I remember my husband telling me what he wished there was You Tube back in the '90s when he was still in a band.

jheylo said...

hard work and perseverance goes together :) i would love to learn how to play guitar too, but i guess i don't have the kind of patience your son has.

YouTube can be a good tool for as long as we use it in the right way :) good for your son.

Jessica Cassidy said...

woohoo! to your son...must be fun to watch him if you were their :-) I cannot play guitar though I can sing :-)

Kat Mint chocolate said...

WOW. Good for your son! Is it not allowed to watch while they perform? So, you can watch it. Very impressive really to self-learned it. He is a fast learner I should say. And goodluck to his first performance!

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to learn more about playing guitar. I used to play, but I stopped. It is always fun playing guitar.

Lady Patchy said...

wow, that is an accomplishment. And parents are proudest people in the whole world. Congrats to your son.

zoan said...

Wow RJ has grown to be a talented young man. I hope my son would learn to play the guitar too

Dhemz said...

wow, how cool! you have a future artist right there.

Shela said...

It's true you need to work hard to get where you are now or in the future!

Momgen Reviews/Genny said...

I bet you are proud of your son so talented...I like those people who can play guitar...

mommy Orkid Belle said...

That is so awesome mommy. Great job young man! Keep it up. Isn't it youtube awesome when you use it for good. hahaha. You can find tons of things on there. Great one!

Les said...

My eldest son is into playing guitar and thanks to Youtube, he was able to play his first song too!

Mommy Pehpot said...

oh my mommy! Your son has a gift. imagine, with just video tutorial he then know it. playing guitars needs a lot of patience because it's not that easy strumming the strings but for him, he just found it easy huh! Cool son. If I'd be in your place, I will be so proud of him too!

Rossel said...

Congratulations to RJ for a very good performance. You must be very proud, Mommy.

What a coincidence. My RJ (a girl), is playing guitar too and will perform two weeks from now. :)

Janet Speaks said...

Wow. Congratulations! I would be proud, too, to see him doing a performance in music and to think he only learned it from a youtube lesson. Well done!

love and living said...

that's really nice to hear sis, so kanino nagmana syempre sa parents, i know how you feel, moms are always like that, we are proud when our kids do something good.

che said...

Good job! It's hard to perform in front of the crowd. I'm glad your son has that confidence!

emzkie said...

impressive! that is really cool. i check the video and it is indeed easy to follow if you know the chords.

Marie said...

When I got nothing much to do I also watch tutorials on youtube :) mostly crochets and drawings and piano lessons, I haven't tried the guitar yet...

Teresa Martinez said...

You have a very talented son. I wish the best for him as he pursues more of his interest.

Ellen said...

I used to play the guitar - a bit... but it's been 5 years now since I held one.

nuts said...

I like the part when his partner stopped during the performance, nice stop that the audience did not notice it. congrats to your son! You must be very proud of him!

levy said...

RJ is so talented. I know that you are a proud mom because of his accomplishments.

Mommy Pehpot said...

talented boy!

and youtube's is a great help talaga.. my kids want some airplanes, eh san pa ako maghahanap ng tuts, eh di sa youtube :)

sigrid @ lovingly mama said...

Hmmm this is a great idea. We will eventually buy a guitar for Dindin and let her study under a tutor for maybe two months and then it will be youtube videos for her. hehe

Maria Teresa said...

Practice makes perfect, and yes, your son's musical prowess should make you a proud mama.

Kaye Figuracion said...

Your son is so talented. He knows how to draw and now, to play guitar. For sure, you are so proud of him.

Copyright © 2010 my baby rj | Free Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates | Layout by Atomic Website Templates